Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rhetorical Analysis

Rhetorical Analysis:
I analyzed the sales pitch of a dish network consultant who wanted me to sign up with dish network.
WATCO signing a contract with dish network ON receiving the quality service they promise their customers.
Audience: People who watch TV a lot and who are not satisfied with the TV service they have right now.
Claim: Signing a contract with dish network will not guarantee the quality service they promise their customers because the motives of most of their salesmen are to make money and they will do and say anything they can to get you to buy from them.
-Ethos: The salesman was not credible because he told me that I would receive all kinds of benefits like free service for the first month and free movie channels for three months. When I asked him what the catch was he kind of mumbled out that they needed a SS#, CC# so they could do a credit check and there was a $50.00 sign up fee.
-Pathos: His sales pitch did appeal to emotion a lot in that he tried to make me realize that watching quality TV with all the good channels was what was going to make me happy. He also made me feel like dish network was the only Television service out there that was actually worth my time.
-Logos: His sales pitch was logical in the beginning. Everything he said made sense. I would be getting a lot more channels for less than the price that I’m paying for cable right now. Who wouldn’t want more for less right? But then after I learned about the catches, his reasoning wasn’t logical to me.
Sufficient: His evidence was not sufficient because he didn’t tell me about all the taxes that are included in the monthly bill.
Typical: His argument was typical to what other salesman do to persuade people. “you get more for the same price of what you’re paying now”
Accurate: His argument wasn’t accurate in that he didn’t exactly say what the catches where until I asked him about them and he also didn’t tell me about the taxes that are included in the monthly bill.
Relevant: His argument was relevant to the topic in that he was trying to sell me his product and he talked about all the benefits that I would receive upon buying it.

1 comment:

sethj said...

I'm guessing under "claim" that that is yours not theirs?

It's true! They'll say anything to get you to buy from them. I sold alarm systems for a month. But there are a lot of dumb people that like the convenience of having the product right there at your doorstep, even if the deal isn't as great as they try to make it sound.