Saturday, January 26, 2008

Technique Application

Story intro:

While growing up, basketball played a major role in my life. I played all throughout high school until my senior year when I moved from Mexico to Minnesota. I was the “new kid” in school who was a senior and didn’t have any friends. I wanted more than ever to try out for the basket ball team. So I began to practice with the team before the try outs. During this time I was treated like a freshman girl who didn’t know what she was doing. All the girls on the team new each other and they couldn’t handle the thought of a new girl coming in to take their place. I was always so insecure around them that I couldn’t do my best when practicing because I was so worried about what they would say. One day I thought the coach could give me a little encouragement so I went to talk to him. I told him that I really wanted to be on the team but I felt like everybody couldn’t stand me and they didn’t treat me right. He looked at me while he pointed at some trophies on the wall and said in an almost screaming voice “Do you see those? Do you think you’re capable of winning one of those? Because that is what our goal is this year and so far I haven’t seen any effort on your part.” With that being said I quietly turned around, walked out of the gym and never went back. I’ve regretted it ever since then because I knew I was good enough to be on the team. I knew I was capable of winning but I let another person keep me from what I wanted most at the time. Eleanor Roosevelt said “nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent”. Most people never fulfill their human potential and remain overwhelmed with feelings of inferiority because they care too much about what other people think.

No comments: