Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Technique application

Funnel Intro.

When cafeterias were first introduced in public schools they were very successful in promoting healthy eating. At that time people seemed to have somewhat of an understanding of what “healthy” actually meant. The students were served things such as raw vegetables, whole wheat bread, natural juice etc… As time passed by these foods were replaced by processed foods, deep fried foods, items with sugar and juice from concentrate. People seem to have also become unaware of how unhealthy most of the food is at school. When I was in my senior year of high school I sat by a girl in the cafeteria who told me she was trying to eat healthy so she was staying away from the food in the cafeteria. I looked at her tray and noticed that she was eating a bagel with strawberry cream cheese. I couldn’t believe that she actually thought she was eating healthy. Promoting healthy food at school will encourage students to eat healthier and also make them more aware of which foods are actually healthy and which ones are not.

1 comment:

sethj said...

Is this going to be for the education paper? I think that's a good topic - it isn't one I would've thought of.

So you're telling me bagels aren't healthy? You've got bread and dairy group right there! j/k

The anecdotal part about the girl at schol almost seems to jump out abruptly. Maybe it might go better in another part of the paper where you have more room to elaborate and cite facts, like why her meal wasn't really healthy.